On Thursday a coroner announced that Garrett Reid, the son of Philadelphia Eagles head coach Andy Reid, died of a heroin overdose.
Northampton County coroner Zachary Lysek claimed a toxicology test confirmed the presence of heroin in Garrett Reid’s body, and investigators revealed the found a used syringe and a spoon in his room. There was also a gym bag filled with dozens of syringes and needles nearby, many of which were unopened.
Northampton County District Attorney John Morganelli said the following at a news conference in Easton, Pennsylvania on Thursday:
“We are confident today that Mr. Reid’s death was the result of a self-injected lethal dose of heroin.”
Reid was found dead on August 5 at Lehigh University, as he was helping out the Eagles’ strength and conditioning coach during training camp. He was long known to be a recovering drug addict, but publicly it seemed as if he had turned his life around. But some close to him (including his father) believed the 29-year-old had suffered a relapse.
The Reid family issued the following statement through the Eagles:
“These results sadly confirmed what we had expected all along. We understood that Garrett’s long-standing battle with addiction was going to be difficult. He will, however, always have our family’s love and respect for the courage he showed in trying to overcome it. In the end, we take comfort in our faith and know that he’s in a better place.”
As stated by the family, today’s report confirms what many suspected. Addition in any form is a disease that is not easily overcome and it is incredibly sad that it took a member of the Reid family.