The 2008 Beijing Olympics have been great. Plenty of memorable moments everywhere. That got us thinking of some of our favorite moments from the Summer games that we remember. Frankly, I can’t remember the ’84 games so this list really has to start from the ’88 games in Seoul. Here’s our list, with video.
10. Rulon Gardner pulls the biggest upset since the Miracle on Ice (2000, Sydney)
9. Carl Lewis and Mike Powell’s Long Jump Battle (1996, Atlanta)
8. Lighting the torch from way downtown (1992, Barcelona)
7. Emad Mohammed’s sick goal against Australia sends Iraq’s soccer team to the semifinals. (2004, Athens)
6. The Dream Team conquers the world (1992, Barcelona)
5. Muhammad Ali receives his lost gold medal (1996, Atlanta)
4. Kerri Strug wins gold for women’s gymnastics team despite sprained ankle (1996, Atlanta)
3. Greg Louganis’ double-gold medal performance despite hitting his head on diving board (1988, Seoul)
2. Michael Johnson obliterates his own world record in the 200 meters (1996, Atlanta)
1. Derek Redmond is helped around the track by his father after injuring his hamstring (1992, Barcelona)
Anyone else have some favorites that we’ve missed?