Former NASCAR official Mauricia Grant — who is a black female — has filed a lawsuit alleging racial and sexual discrimination in the garage. And the allegations leave us shocked, stunned and appalled — shunpalled, if you will.
Among the items claimed in the suit per ESPN’s story:
– She alleged she was referred to as “Nappy Headed Mo” and “Queen Sheba” by co-workers, was often told she worked on “colored people time” and was frightened by one official who routinely made references to the Ku Klux Klan.
– Grant was forced to work outside more often than the white male officials because her supervisors believed she couldn’t sunburn because she was black. (With all due respect to the suit, I am pretty sure Dusty Baker thinks the same thing).
– While riding in the backseat of her car pool at Talladega Superspeedway, co-workers told her to duck as they passed race fans. “I don’t want to start a riot when these fans see a black woman in my car,” she claims one official said.
– When packing up a dark garage at Texas Motor Speedway an official told Grant: “Keep smiling and pop your eyes out ’cause we can’t see you.”
Seriously, why didn’t they do something to make this poor woman feel comfortable, like a nice fried chicken dinner with grape pop? Wait, maybe they did try that.
Anyway, in lieu of this incredible revelation that racism and sexism may exist in NASCAR, we’ve compiled a list of other events that shocked us to our very core.
– Nathan Lane coming out of the closet
– People hating Jay Mariotti
– Britney Spears and K-Fed’s marriage not working out
– Refs allegedly fixing NBA games
– The Japanese decision to try and invent a “death ray” over the atomic bomb not paying off in WWII
– Lindsey Lohan’s life falling apart despite all her fabulous parental support
– The show Viva Laughlin getting canceled after two episodes
– Lou Bega’s inability to come up with a follow-up hit to Mambo No. 5. Seriously Lou, I’m waiting on Mambo No. 6.
– You reading this blog entry until the end